Sunday, April 28, 2019

In the news, Sunday, December 1, 1991


________

NOV 30      INDEX      DEC 02
________



________

from FEE (Foundation for Economic Education)
RIGHT-CENTER BIAS, HIGH, non-profit organization

The Chinese Won't Forget
My decision to return to China for a journey that would take me from the wild, jungle border with Burma to the windswept plains of Inner Mongolia in the summer and autumn of 1990 was not an easy one. I had been a student at a Shanghai university in the spring of 1989 and had left China shortly after the massacre in Tiananmen Square. I didn’t care whether a decision to return would be deemed “politically correct” by the arbiters of such things back home, but I did fear that the Chinese people I encountered might construe my presence as a sign that the massacre had been forgotten and all was “business as usual” with China so far as Westerners were concerned. But, I wanted to go back.

________

from The Spokesman-Review

________


No comments:

Post a Comment