Sunday, December 16, 2018

In the news, Wednesday, December 5, 2018


________

DEC 04      INDEX      DEC 06
________


Information from some sites may not be reliable, or may not be vetted.
Some sources may require subscription.

________

from BEEF Magazine

Researchers conclude livestock have no detectable effect on climate
Albrecht Glatzle is a professor with INTTAS (Initiative for Research and Extension of Sustainable Agrarian Technologies), Filadelfia, Paraguay. According to newly published research by Glatzle, who has written over 100 scientific papers and two textbooks, “There is no scientific evidence, whatsoever, that domestic livestock could represent a risk for the Earth’s climate.”

________

from Capital Press
The West's Ag Website

Washington lawmaker: Hounds need practice, cougars need lesson
A Washington lawmaker says he will introduce a bill authorizing hound hunters to practice chasing cougars. House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee Chairman Brian Blake said he wants hound hunters, who track troublesome cougars for Fish and Wildlife, to stay sharp and at the same time make the big cats fear humans and dogs.

________

from FEE (Foundation for Economic Education)
RIGHT-CENTER BIAS, HIGH, non-profit organization

California’s Background Check Law Had No Impact on Gun Deaths, Johns Hopkins Study Finds
The findings—which run counter to the conventional wisdom that gun control saves lives—have received almost no media attention. There is gun violence research available, but we're not discussing it outside our confirmation biases.

How 'I, Pencil' Changed My Life
I was 35,000 feet in the air when the ground dropped out from under me. I was twenty years old, and I thought I understood everything. In the course of a two-hour flight, everything I understood about myself, the world, and my place in it fell to dust. Why? Because of a ten-page essay: "I, Pencil." The 60th anniversary of the publication of "I, Pencil" is this month. There are millions of people around the world who can explain the intellectual appeal of this legendary essay, the foundation of all that we do at FEE. "I, Pencil" makes a deeply academic case, but that’s not how it changed my life. "I, Pencil" changed my life because it changed my heart.   My name is Tricia Beck-Peter, and I work at FEE. That means that I’ve devoted my life to making the principles of a free society familiar, credible, and compelling to the rising generation. Before that, and before the aforementioned flight, I was an authoritarian. I believed most people were incapable of making the right choices for themselves and that the role of government was to protect the masses from their own stupidity. Government was more powerful than individuals and was the driving force of good in our country.

Electric-Vehicle Subsidies: Kill the Tax Credits and Let Consumers Decide
Families should be empowered to purchase the car they want without nudging from Washington and the financial help of their fellow taxpayers.

________

from New Statesman
"The leading voice of the British left, since 1913."

How Hermann Hesse became a hero of the Sixties counterculture
The book of Hesse’s that had the greatest resonance in the Sixties was Steppenwolf (1927), after which a succession of rock bands and theatrical companies were named. The story of a middle-aged man who felt alienated as much from himself as from society, the novel attracted the counterculture partly because its hallucinatory style seemed to resemble experiences induced by mind-expanding drugs. The former Harvard psychologist and LSD evangelist Timothy Leary canonised Hesse as a “master-guide” to psychedelia, and advised his disciples: “Before your LSD session, read Siddhartha and Steppenwolf.” Yet apart from a lifelong addiction to wine and tobacco, Hesse had no interest in drugs. More to the point, he feared and resisted with all his powers the loss of self that Leary sought and found in the psychedelic experience.

________

from The Spokesman-Review
Newspaper in Spokane, Washington

________


No comments:

Post a Comment