Friday, February 18, 2011

GORDON ALLAN ROSS (Chart R-21)

________________________
________________________


Family Chart No. R-21                                   Parents - Chart No. R-12

     5th Generation                                                Ross/Dampier Family

GORDON ALLAN ROSS
second son of EDWARD ERNEST and FLORENCE LAVINIA (YOUNG) ROSS
was born 5 May 1881 at Quebec City, Canada
died 18 December 1964 at Quebec City
buried at Quebec City in Mount Herman cemetery.
Resided at Quebec City all his life.
Started with Parisian Corset Manufacturing Co. Ltd., later formed his own company.

Served in Canadian army for one year and a half and honourably discharged because of his eyes.  For his good work during Second World War was offered the O.B.E. and Honorary Colonel but refused both.

He married ETHEL VICTORIA DAMPIER
on 10 September 1914 at Rochester, New York
she was daughter of WILLIAM JOHN and ETTA VICTORIA (KYLE) DAMPIER
she was born 17 May 1893 at Rochester, New York
and died at Quebec City
Her father was born in England 19 August 1862, was a college professor.  Died 23 December 1894 in his 33rd year.  Her mother was born 2 January 1862 at Brockville, Ontario, was 7th of 16 children.  She married Frank V. Scribner of Rochester, New York; had a son and a daughter; and died 20 July 1950.

________________________


Children of GORDON and ETHEL (DAMPIER) ROSS

LAVINIA ERNESTINE
      born 21 April 1916 at Jeffery Hale Hospital, Quebec City
      died in 1990
      married CHARLES NESTOR HARRISON on 30 October 1937 in her parents home on St. Louis Road in Quebec.
            He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Mark Harrison, Denver, Colorado,
            He was born in 1914 in Denver, Colorado, but lived in Quebec for over 25 years.
            He died in 1996
                  His grandfather, Joseph, arrived in Denver on a stagecoach in the 1800s.
                  His son, Mark, married Theresa Green.
                        They had two sons, Charles Nestor and Joseph.
                  Joseph spent 3 years in a POW camp in Poland.
      Charles and Lavinia had one daughter:
            JUDITH (JUDY)  born at Toronto, Ontario, 14 November 1940
            as of September 2012, she is aged 71 and living in Tampa, Florida
            she married Burdack, and has a son, Paul Ross Burdack

JOHN DAVID
     born 1918 at Jeffery Hale Hospital, Quebec City
     died 12 August 1919 of the flu.

JEAN
     born 15 November 1920 at Jeffery Hale Hospital, Quebec City
     she died 7 October 1972 at East Greenwich, Rhode Island
     married RODMAN C. KELLEY on 4 December 1943, her childhood sweetheart.
     Jean and Rodman had one child, GAIL, born about 1946.  She married Rodriquez.

GORDON DAMPIERRE
     born 16 December 1923 at Jeffery Hale Hospital, Quebec City
     married BEVERLEY NORA BENNETT on 5 December 1958
     daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Bennett of Nanaimo, British Columbia
     child:  GORDON G. born 15 February 1960

This record was compiled by Henry Ross Wiggs, Westmount, Quebec
15 July 1971   Sources of data:  Mrs. Ethel Dampier Ross, Quebec City
Details in Italic added by Cousin Sam.
Some details corrected through information provided by Judith Burdack.
____________

Comment by Judith Harrison Burdack:

I absolutely adored my Mom's dad--Gordon A. Ross--he was a lovely, wise human being--a man before his time. Worked hard to cement the very poor relationship between Catholic Quebec and the Protestants. Those years were harsh for all. After the war he & my grandmother took in 2 displaced Polish ladies who lost everyone, because they were Jewish. One was a nurse and she helped to take care of my great-grandmother Scribner.

They lived in the home and helped in many ways. I remember them well--my child's mind remembers all the good times I had with Sophie & Stanie. I would read to them--I think it helped them learn English. My grandfather made sure they connected with the tiny Jewish community in Quebec--made sure they were introduced to Jewish gentleman & when a few years went by they married; he took care of all of their marriage needs, including giving them away. He was quiet & unassuming, but he was the type of person who would have marched in Selma,Alabama w/Dr. King. By the way I met MLK about 2 years before he was killed. Anyway--I adored GARoss!

____________

Mr. Wiggs had the following notes attached to "the son of Mr. and Mrs. Mark Harrison" above.  Judith suggests they may pertain to her uncle Joseph.

            Educated in Canada, entered McGill University, but called up by US Army
            he served 4 years on a bomber.

Judith comments:

I "think" his brother, Joseph,my Uncle Joe) flew missions with the RCAF & then when the US entered the war Joe went over to the US Airforce as a navigator.

He was "almost" through with his missions, when they were shot down over northern France. The French underground was trying to get them across the English Channel, when the German gestapo got them, shot the family in front of the fliers and then hauled them off to Poland.

By the way the Russians liberated that POW camp--the Germans had scattered and just left the prisoners to fend for themselves. My Uncle Joe was a wreck by the time they got him back to the USA. Joe lived outside Chicago with his wife Grace & their 3 adult children. He passed away about 2000.

Thank you for entering my comments about my grandfather! I'm pleased. My parents were so "cool"--liberal, forward thinking & yet held high standards for me & for themselves. I earned my M.Ed. in 1978 at the Univ. of Tampa. I'm so glad they could enjoy the fruits of their labor--they were there in 1963 when I got my B.S. at Texas Christian University. Mother cried, as I was the 1st in the family to earn my degree.

____________

1 comment:

  1. To Cousin Sam:

    I trust this note finds you well. I have ancestral ties to the Harrison branch of your family tree (Chart R-21). This evening I joined this blog after discovering the connection. I would like to contact Judith Harrison Burdack, a distant relation, and would be grateful for your assistance. At your convenience, would you be so kind as to convey my e-mail address to her (fishnet@pipeline.com), with the request that she contact me.

    With much appreciation:

    Randy

    Rand H. Fishbein, Ph.D.

    ReplyDelete