Monday, February 4, 2013

From Facebook, February 1-14, 2013



____________

____________



posted by Kari McKay, 2-3:

For those who remember back in the day of the Almira Grocery Store, dear sweet Harold Porch has passed away at 103 years of age. His funeral will be Friday February 8th at St. Augustine in Spokane at 10am. Burial will be at 3pm at the Sherman Cemetery northeast of Wilbur, Wa. I remember my father speaking of the time when he let me play at the park as a kid while he went and ran errands. A few hours later after my father arrived home he got a call from Harold asking him if he'd forgotten something. Yay dad!!! RIP Harold, I'm sure you leave many memories behind.

________


The south end of Short Mountain - just NW of Riverside.

Ernest Hemingway kicks a beer can down the street (1959).
Fun Fade here: http://www.whatwasthere.com/b/50912


Stehekin,Wa.  -  Photo Credit- Cheryl Brett McGinnis
from Everything Washington

Vista House at the summit of Mt. Spokane built in 1933 during an autumn sunset.
from Everything Washington


posted by Rob Leachman, 2-12-2013
Train 200S26 eases onto the Beverly Bridge just seconds after sunrise on May 27, 1979. For a brief moment – the right moment to make this photograph – the mountain radiated an incredible reddish glow. Note the Locotrol slave units at the right.

From a conversation with the train dispatcher the night before I knew that this train should be coming at Beverly right about sunrise, so when I camped out for the night at Beverly I had hopes it would all work out in the morning. Even so, I was extremely fortunate that the timings of train and sunrise were so perfectly synchronized. Especially considering there was just one eastbound train that day!

The wind howled all night (normal for Beverly, I suppose), so it was tough to sleep. At dawn I crawled out of my sleeping bag and cranked off this shot. Wow. — in Beverly, WA.




No comments:

Post a Comment