Friday, April 22, 2011

V-MAIL FROM UNCLE GEORGE, part 1

     I have 14 V-MAIL letters sent by my Uncle George, who served in North Africa, Italy, France, and Germany during World War II.  Some of the writing is difficult to read, and one line of one of them was blacked out by the censor (I'll note that in its place), but I shall do my best to transcribe them.  Words I'm not sure about will be followed or indicated by (?).   He (and all of his brothers) had quite a sense of humor at times, and I hope it shows through in these letters.  He is mentioned in Chart T-2, published March 15 in this blog.


From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 CA Bn (AA) Btry C
APO 464 New York, N.Y.
July 13, 1943

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Received your letter yesterday and was surprised and pleased to hear from you, as mail from home is very welcome over here.  I am still here in North Africa and sure hope that this war sill end so I can come home.  No telling where I will be by that time.  I have seen a lot of the country since I have been here and it is a lot like central Washington and your country only hotter.  The towns are strange and the natives (?) quaint and both are dirty and smelly.  I have had lots of practice in my high school French as we are stationed right with French and Arab Marines.  I have a friend who is a sergeant in the French Marines and he is married and lives in a little town nearby.  I have been to his house a couple of times for dinner.  I get along alright now.  I understand them and they understand me.
     I am sure sorry I missed the wedding but I was detained by business.  I hope you and Henry are getting along O.K.  Say hello to your mother and father and patty for me, Margaret, and let me know how Clair is doing.  I hope I hear from you soon and better yet I hope that I see you soon.  Keep up the good work at home and we be back soon.

your loving bro.
George

__________________________________________________________________________

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 CA Bn (AA) Btry C
APO 464 New York, N.Y.
August 17, 1943

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Received another V mail from you about a week ago and am just finding time to answer it.  I have been rather busy the last month and moved around considerably but things are quiet now and mostly routine work and of course guard every day.  I don't know much what we are going to do, of course no one knows.  I am still in the best of health and doing well on these "C" rations.  Anyone mention hash, stew, or beans (?) Vienna sausage to me after the war and I'll shoot and ask no questions.  We get plenty to eat but it sure doesn't taste good and there is very little variety.  That is where Clair has the best of us, the navy always eats better has cleaner quarters and better place to sleep.  I eat, sleep, write letters and do everything right on the ground.  Wash, shave, bathe and do my laundry in my steel helmet.  I am glad that every one is well at home and everyone doing nicely.  I hope this war is over soon as there sure isn't much future in it.  This isn't much of a letter but its almost impossible to write an interesting letter as everything i do is not for publication.  I sure enjoy getting your newsy letters and mail call is the most popular fascination of the day.  Well, must close now.  Give my regards to all the family and write again soon.

Your loving brother,
George

__________________________________________________________________________

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 CA Bn (AA) Btry C
APO 512 New York, N.Y.
(no date)

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Received a pkg of gum yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised and pleased.  Gum sure is grand when the weather is hot and the water pail.  i looked for a letter too, but there wasn't any.  I imagine there hasn't been the tourist trade this year at the Dam.  i sure would like to take a trip clear to the end of the lake.  Nothing much new here now.   The same old routine right now.  Once in a while a little excitement.  i have a new APO now.  It is 512 and when you write the battalion number it is 442 not 44second.  I wrote it 442nd but it was the way it is said.  I visited the town of Oran the other day.  It is one of the largest in North Africa.  It stinks just like all the others and is about 50 years behind the times.  How is Clair making it.  I imagine Patty is getting to be a big girl now.  I probably wouldn't know her.  Say hello to Mr. and Mrs. Seaton for me and tell the rest hello.  There isn't much to write about here as aren't allowed to say much.

your loving brother,
George


Here is a link to Oran, Algeria (also spelled Wahran or Ouahran) at Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Oran,+Algeria&aq=0&sll=35.5054,-0.77179&sspn=0.952482,1.474915&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ouahran,+Oran,+Algeria&ll=35.711395,-0.666046&spn=0.237509,0.368729&z=11

__________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment