Monday, April 25, 2011

V-MAIL FROM UNCLE GEORGE, part 2

     [The change of APO may indicate a move from North Africa to Italy.]


From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 CA Bn AA Btry C
APO 512 New York, N.Y.
Sept 21, 1943

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Received another letter from you today and as usual was very glad to hear from you.  You sure make me envious talking about your garden and peaches and all those good things to eat.  This is also the second year in a row that I have missed out on all the fresh garden things such as tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, green onions and radishes and fresh corn and all the rest of the things that make up a kitchen garden.  As for fresh fruits (?) (?).  Here our vegetables and fruits are dried or canned.
     You had an old APO number on the letter that I got but I got the letter alright.  I'll bet it is grand at your place now.  pat must be quite a young lady now.  As for thumping melons, I always got my best ones after dark.  Good-by for now; I am O.K. as usual and tell everyone hello for me.

Y.L.B.,
George

__________________________________________________________________________

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 CA Bn AA Btry C
APO 512 New York, N.Y.
Oct. 23

Dear Margaret and Henry,

     Received your nice newsy letter along with one from Ted and Mother.  I am sorry to hear that Henry's stomach is on the bum.  I hop you take good care of it, hank.  I wish I were there as I could sure go for all those things you can't eat.  i am always hungry.  Some times our meals are rather skimpy.  And the things you mention, we just haven't got at all.
     How does Clair like his new spot?  I hope he likes it better than I do over here.  I can say though that so far I have been lucky.  I sure wish that I could write you some news but that is strictly out.  It sure is hard to write a letter when everything you do is censored.  I was down  [line censored]  but didn't see much.  Well, I certainly enjoy your letters and still have some gum left.  Say hello to all.

Y.L.B.,
George

__________________________________________________________________________

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 CA Bn (AA) Btry C
APO 512 New York, N.Y.
Nov. 18, 1943

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     I received your Xmas pkg. about a week ago and am just now getting around to thanking you for it.  I haven't had a letter from you for some time now and I am always so glad to get them as they are all nice and newsy and sound like home.  There certainly isn't any home atmosphere where I am now.  I have seen so many unusual things that my senses of appreciation are getting dulled and I get more interested when I see an American girl (nurse) than I do when I see an exotic native girl, or a church built before Columbus was ever born, or some of Europe's famous places.  Travel and interesting places are a drug on the market with me.
     I am still feeling fine but am not quit as fat as I was.  I have lost about twenty pounds.  Well, have to go on guard duty pretty soon so have to get ready.  This Army is a twenty four hour a day job.  Write soon and often,

Y.L.B.,
George

__________________________________________________________________________

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 AAA (?) Bn Btry C
APO 512 New York, N.Y.
Dec. 21, 1943

Dear Margaret and Henry,

     Received another nice letter from you a couple of days ago and as always enjoyed your letter very much.  You are one of my most regular correspondents.  Your letters sure make me wish I could come down or should I say up and over and spend a few days with you.  I am glad that you are all O.K. and hope you have a nice Christmas.  Give them all my regards and tell them all hello.  Tell Clair hello for me next time you write him.
     I am just the same as usual and as always can't give out with any news.  It is hard to write an interesting letter when I can't say anything.  I don't here from Babe very often either, I have had only two letters from her since she has been married.  I guess it is a full time job with her.  I sure like to get letters, too.  I sure get tired of trying to twist my tongue and throw my jaw out of joint trying to talk these foreign languages.  Well, good bye for now.Write soon and often.

Y.L.B.,
George

__________________________________________________________________________

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 AAA (?) Bn Btry C
APO 512 New York, N.Y.
Jan 5, 1944

Dear Margaret and Henry,

     I received your last pkg. the other day and was immensely pleased with it and will enjoy it for some time to come.  I can't say much for the holidays as far as I am concerned but hope you had a pleasant time.  We had a very (?) Xmas here about two feet deep and sank in to our knees.  We were fixing a road to our position and the only difference between me and the rest of the mud was that I wiggled a little bit.  I was camouflaged perfectly.
     I suppose you were in to see Mother during the holidays.  I imagine she as well as everyone else has been very busy as I haven't had any news from those parts for quite some time.  Well, be sure and write some more nice homey letters as they make me forget the mud, grime, and war for a while.  I am still in the best of health and doing alright.

Y.L.B.
George

No comments:

Post a Comment