Tuesday, April 26, 2011

V-MAIL FROM UNCLE GEORGE, part 3

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 AAA (AW) Bn Btry C
APO 512 New York, N.Y.
Jan. 27, 1944

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Received your letter written on Jan. 19.  It took only eight days to get here.  It is the fastest letter I have ever received.  There must have been a mistake.  Well we have been having a few days of sunshine lately and have been most welcome.  But I can tell you that when it rains we don't worry about getting too hot. You are away behind in your gardening.  They have already planted potatoes and garden things.  We have had a few green onions or scallions but they are 5 cents apiece, rather expensive.  We buy eggs once in a while but they cost from 16 to 20 cents each.  We have eaten tangerines until we are tired of them.  Outside of those things we haven't had much fresh things.  We had some potatoes but they are very little and cost 30 cents a pound.  As for candy we never have any trouble getting rid of what little we get.  i certainly wish I had been there, your (?) wouldn't have spoiled.  I had a letter from Mother and Babe is teaching school again.  I enjoy your letters very much.

Y.L.B.,
George

__________________________________________________________________________

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
442 AAA (AW) Bn. Btry C
APO 512 New York, N.Y.
Feb 7, 1944

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Received another letter from you a few days back and also received eight packages of Raleighs (cigarettes) from you.  They had a card inside of each pkg. with your names on it.  I really appreciated them as my supply was out, and no rations for a couple of days.  My cigarette ration never does do me for two weeks and if it wasn't for receiving some once in a while I would be out.
     I had a rather good breakfast this morning; Bacon and eggs and toast.  Rather expensive though as eggs are sixteen cents apiece and I ate four.  The mud is pretty well dried up now but the prospects are for a lot more rain but right now it is beautiful spring weather.  The country is all green but the vineyards are still brown and the vines aren't leafing out.  We get lots of tangerines here but they are sure full of seeds.  i ate a bird dinner the other day.  I don't know what kind.  They were about the size of a big sparrow.  Well must close now.  Thanks for the cigs and write often.

Y.L.B.,
George

__________________________________________________________________________

     [The change of unit designation and APO may indicate a move from Italy to France.  Beginning with this letter, the country is indicated under the address.]

From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
99th Cml. Bn. Co. C
APO 758 New York, N.Y.
(no date) 1944
Italy

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Received a nice card and letter and a picture of Mother from you, also a package of v mail.  I am always glad to get your letters as they are always so nice and newsy, and I really appreciated the picture.  I just haven't seemed to have time to write in the past as have been so busy and on the go all the time.  I have managed to see most of the points of Italy en route but so much of it is ruins and the people so beaten that there doesn't seem to be much worth fighting for over here.  It's a cinch that Italy is ruined for some time to come.
     Well about all I can tell you is that I am feeling fine and hope you are the same.  Give my regards to the whole family and write often.  Hope I will be down to see you by this time next year.

Your loving brother,
George

__________________________________________________________________________


From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
Co. C 99th Cml. Bn.
APO 758 New York, N.Y.
Dec 20, 1944
France

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Well, I enjoy your letters even if I don't answer very promptly and hope you continue to write often as letters do help.  I am afraid I won't have much opportunity to do any looking for you now Margaret as i am in a different locality.  As usual I haven't much to write about.  I have been in lots of the towns Lou talks about but haven't had much opportunity to do any sight-seeing.  Things are much the same as they were in Italy here but this is a much nicer country.  I am still in the best of health but am very tired of the war and anxious to get back home.  I hope you all have a merry Xmas and give my best wishes to all.

Your loving bro.,
George

__________________________________________________________________________


From 39199733
Pvt G. Taschereau
Co. C 99th Cml. Mortar Bn.
APO 758 New York, N.Y.
Feb 8, 1945
France

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     Received another nice newsy letter from you today and although I don't find the opportunity I really appreciate your letters.  You are my steadiest correspondent, and I enjoy hearing the news.  I never have much news to tell you so imagine my letters aren't very interesting.  I can't tell you much about my activities, but many times I wish I was someplace else.  But so far I have been very fortunate, in fact I have been extremely lucky.  Our outfit is a 4.2" mortor battalion, that is about all I can say.  But you probably have read about the mortors, as they have made quite a name over here.
     I was surprised about Joe Gray but I knew that it was rather rough in that sector, but so it is in all sectors of the line.  I haven't been in that sector but have talked to soldiers from there.  Must close now till later,

[no close or signature]

__________________________________________________________________________

     [This final letter was type-written.  Note that he is now Pfc.  Also note the eye witness reference to the concentration camps.]

From 39199733
Pfc G. Taschereau
Co. C 99th Cml. Mortar Bn.
APO 758 New York, N.Y.
Germany  May 29, 1945

Dear Henry and Margaret,

     I haven't answered your last three or four letters and now that I have the time I am going to catch up on all my correspondence if it takes me a week.  I was very shocked and surprised when I got your letter telling about Ted as the last time I heard from home he was doing fine and expected to be leaving for Calif. soon.  I had no idea that he was so bad.  It sure isn't going to be the same at home any more as I am going to miss Reg. and Ted as they were always full of fun.  It is hard to write and tell just how I feel about things.
     Well, now that the war is over I am sweating out whether I am going straight to the Pacific or get a furlough home first.  I know that I won't get a discharge as I am short about nine points.  I just can't figure out any more no matter how hard I try, too bad I haven't got a child or two then I would have beau coup points.
     In the meantime I am having it very easy and the first few days were alright but now time is beginning to drag as it is an awful let down after going at top speed and under such strain for so long.  I have been all over Southern Germany and seen most of the interesting spots both famous and Infamous.  The concentration camps and all other spots that Hitler was connected with.  I get to go into Heidelberg quite frequently but now that I have been all over the town there isn't much to do there except see a show as it is forbidden to talk to anyone.

Your loving bro.
George



      Here is a link to Heidelberg at google.com/maps:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Heidelberg,+Germany&aq=0&sll=37.160317,-95.712891&sspn=38.521012,32.34375&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Heidelberg,+Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg,+Germany&ll=49.439557,8.865967&spn=2.02175,3.438721&t=h&z=8

No comments:

Post a Comment