Sunday, March 24, 2024

In the news, Monday, April 1, 2024


________

MAR 31      INDEX      APR 02
________


EASTER MONDAY

________

from Inlander

By Eliza Billingham
When I stopped into Indy Mart Food on Pine Road in Spokane Valley, I gazed across the bags of gorgeous beans and lentils, intriguing spices, jars of ghee and bottles of rose water. The small Indian market attached to a gas station had plenty of exciting, tempting ingredients. But it was the small fridge filled with homemade treats that made me pull out my wallet. At the end of a middle aisle, facing the back wall, the tiny refrigerator had stacks on stacks of clear plastic containers. They held different Indian desserts made by a local sweet shop, the proprietor told me.  Each square, diamond and triangle was topped with an assortment of pistachios, almonds or rose petals, and they were all unlabeled. I snagged a couple of my visual favorites, paid, and taste tested immediately upon getting into the car. I was in heaven. Turns out, the sweets I chose were different kinds of "milk cakes,"  simple concoctions of ghee, milk, sugar and a few spices, which were utterly and simply delightful

________

from The Spokesman-Review
Newspaper in Spokane, Washington

________
















No comments:

Post a Comment