Sunday, August 20, 2023

In the news, Thursday, August 24, 2023


________

AUG 23      INDEX      AUG 25
________


________

from Inlander

I accepted the job as a food writer at the Inlander when I was living with my parents in Chicago. After stints in southeast Asia and on the East Coast, I thought I was finally committed to staying in the Midwest. But a job is a job, and this seemed like a pretty cool job, so I got ready to move for the sixth time in four years. As soon as I started to second-guess, Inlander editor-in-chief Nick Deshais forwarded me a message from Kate Lebo. She and her husband, Sam Ligon, both established and award-winning authors and teachers, were hosting an intensive food writing workshop at a goat farm in Stevens County. They hoped to connect local food writers and food suppliers over creative writing classes, farm-to-table meals and lots of quality time with goats. I've been glad I took the job ever since.

When Hanncel Sanchez was earning her degree in women and gender studies at Eastern Washington University, she volunteered her extra time at a sexual assault helpline. Even though she knew sexual assault was an issue for Spanish speakers, she noticed that they weren't the ones calling in. In 2018, Sanchez founded Mujeres in Action, or MiA, a nonprofit that provides bilingual crisis intervention and culturally specific care, safety planning, emergency housing, and companionship services to Latinx families facing abusive relationships at home. (MiA prefers the non-gendered term Latinx, which will be used throughout this profile.) They are advocates for survivors at doctors appointments, in courts and with employment searches, while also trying to hold government agencies responsible for language access to public information.

Ilove working out at Hardcore Gym, even though I am not hardcore, nor a gym fiend, nor actually athletic at all. Considering I've ruined the main reasons you might have for not working out at Hardcore Gym, it seems my duty to provide you with other reasons to avoid the Mattress Firm-turned-fitness-dojo on North Division Street.

________

from The Spokesman-Review
Newspaper in Spokane, Washington


________




















No comments:

Post a Comment