Monday, June 27, 2011

COPYRIGHT, PERMISSIONS. & BLOG POLICY

Updated 29 July 2014

     Some information used in this post comes from "Copyright Basics," Circular 1 from the U.S. Copyright Office.

     Some content in this blog consists of material published before 1922, and is out of copyright.

     Some content comes from letters (such as the WWII V-mail, Marvin's WWII letter, the 1968 letter from France) and other material by members of the family which are published for the first time in this blog, and may thus be copyright 2011.  Permission is granted for free use of those and of any original content that may be considered intellectual property of Cousin Sam unless otherwise noted in a particular post.  I only ask that you contact me by email to let me know who you are, how I may contact you, what you are using, and how you are using it.

     The Ross Family Record, published in this blog between February 21 and April 22, 2011, was completed by Henry Ross Wiggs in 1971, and may be considered copyright 1971.  The same permission applies as in the preceding paragraph.

     I have requested permission from several area newspapers to post transcripts of some of the clippings collected over much of the last century by my mother, along with some collected by myself and other relatives, concerning my family's history.  Some of the clippings have become separated from their source information, and unless I can verify when and where they were published, will only be paraphrased if used.  The exception will be obituaries, death and funeral notices, wedding notices, and similar items which are not general news articles but are public record.

     Articles with the name of a newspaper and date of publication after 1922 are intellectual property of that paper and, with the above noted exception, only one or two copies may be made depending on the paper, and only for personal use or internal reference without prior written permission from that paper.

     Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

____________


     On October 23, 2011, I spoke with Les Lillquist about permission to post a transcript of the text of his master's thesis from 1969, A History of Coulee City, Washington.  He was most happy to give that permission.

____________


     I requested permission from Mr. Paul Graves to post one of his columns, as it speaks clearly along the lines of what I believe strongly and have stated in my relatively young blog.  It is the kind of message that I believe should be shouted around the whole world.  His reply, dated June 24, 2011, says in part:

     Feel free to do so. If it is of value to someone, that’s great. I thank you for your appreciation, and your courtesy of asking to use it on your blog. Soon, I hope to have my own blog up and running so these columns can be available to persons beyond the Spokesman’s reach.

Peace,
Paul

     The column in question was first posted in Cousin Sam, but has since been moved to Cousin Sam's Faith. It may be again relocated to the In the News section under its publication date.


____________


     From the Coulee City News Standard on May 16, 2011:


     Sure I don't mind at all! This newspaper is part of the history of all of us. Please do share.

ShirleyRae Maes, Editor/Publisher/Owner
News Standard May 16, 2011


____________


     In response to my request, The Spokesman-Review (which also owns rights to the Spokane Daily Chronicle, no longer published) has been most gracious.  I received this on May 11, 2011 from the editor, Gary Graham:


     You're welcome to post the clippings as long as you are not using the blog to sell goods or services. Based on what you've said, this appears to be a strictly personal, family blog, which is fine with us.

Gary

____________


     On October 5, Sent the following message to Mr. Rufus Woods, publisher of the Wenatchee World:

Dear Mr. Woods,

In July I received permission from one of the surviving members of the Grand Coulee Dam Bicentennial Commission to post the book, From Pioneers to Power, in my family history blog,  A few of the articles contained in it were originally published in the Wenatchee World, so I believe I should have your permission to include them in my blog edition.

As a grandson of Sam Seaton, many of the people mentioned in the book, and several of the contributors, are related to me.  Also, over the years my mother collected many newspaper clippings   about the area and about family members, some over 75 years old and out of copyright, but many newer, and I would greatly appreciate permission to use them also.

Hu Blonk was a long time family friend who wrote many articles about the Grand Coulee area and about members of my family.  His wife, Martha Haskins Blonk, graduated from Almira High School in the same class with my mother in 1930.  I would be most grateful for permission to post some of his work about my family and home country.

His reply:

Sam:

It's so good to hear from you. Of course, feel free to post those stories with our blessing.

Hu was quite an inspiration - I feel fortunate to have worked with him for many years. What an amazing human being with a wonderful sense of humor.

I'll pass this note along to my father.

Best regards,

Rufus

____________


     On November 21, 2011, I received the following reply from The Star:

Hello Sam,
You have permission to include in your blog stories published in The Star that help tell the story of your family history.
Good luck with your work.

Scott Hunter, editor and publisher
The Star
http://www.grandcoulee.com/
P.O. Box 150
Grand Coulee, WA 99133

____________


PIONEERS TO POWER:  On July 24, 2011, I spoke with Edith Alling Lael, one of the surviving members of the Grand Coulee Dam Bicentennial Commission, about using material from their book, PIONEERS TO POWER, copyright 1976 by the G. C. D. Bicentennial Association, updated from the original 1958 edition, since much of it is either by or about members of my family and where they lived, including the Grand Coulee Dam itself, since it is located on the site of my grandfather's homestead and the Grant County ferry, which he operated.  The lake it created covers the sites of the homesteads and ferries of several other members of the family.  All of my uncles and many other members of the family worked on or were in some way involved with the construction of the dam, and later, my grandfather was an operating engineer at the dam after it opened.  Edith has kindly granted permission to use as much of the book as I wish, and mentioned that her grandfather helped to build the Grant County ferry.  Their policy on use of material is very similar to my policy on use of any original material from this blog.

____________


BLOG COMMENT POLICY

     I welcome comments, provided they are appropriate to the post to which they are placed, and to the family research and history with which this blog is concerned.  Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed.

____________


No comments:

Post a Comment