Thursday, March 31, 2011

Civil War Letters

     I have recently been contacted by a descendant of James Alexander and Kitty Walker,  who were also the grandparents of my great grandfather Thomas Brownfield Seaton's first wife, Minerva Aldridge.  Included in the information from that source are the following transcripts of two letters written during the Civil War from Bryan Kelly to his brother-in-law, David Walker Alexander, who was one of Minerva's 1st cousins.  He may have been at the Shiloh.  Minerva also had an uncle, Riley W. Alexander, who was killed at the battle of Chickamauga.  They were both in Co. F 16th Alabama REGT. Infantry.    Dave Alexander was a 2nd Lieutenant;   Riley was a 1st Corporal.

 Two Letters from Bryan Kelly to David Alexander

1862 Moulton, February the 17 Dear Brother I am indebted to you 2 letters But I now will Kill 2 Birds with one stone. You Asked of me what the press and people thought of your exploits at Fishing Creek. I answer that there are various opinions and some were very Conflicting Immediately after the Battle some Blamed one officer and some another. But the people and press are taking a Common Sense view of the affair and now Endorse the Course the Commanding Officers pursued in the Crittenden was persecuted in the extreme for fighting the Battle under such disadvantageous Circumstances. Others Called Him Traitor. Others denounced him for being Drunk at the time the Battle was being fought. Others said that protested Against the Attack But upon the whole from What I can learn he Could not do Better than bring on the fight and Retreat as he done. If he Remained in his position he would be surrounded by the enemy, would finally have to Capitulate. I think as I remarked before that the Commander in chief acted wisely and prudently in fighting and then Retreating The 16th Ala from what I can learn acted its part well for the Chance it had although it has been [charged?] by James M Warren and Lt Col. Barnard with Cowardice for what Reason I can not tell unless it was Because Col. Woods' County Men voted against him for Lieut. Col. at Fort Henry. He has been the only man that I heard of running down that Regiment and in fact the press has Lauded the Whole division, especially the 15 Miss. and 20 Tenn, but it could not be expected that the Reserve Could Distinguish itself like the attacking Cullman. I have not heard of Seen a second paragraph in any paper condemning Any Body But the Commanding Officer. They censured him for five days after the Fight and that came from Cowardly, Crazy Brained Fools who ran from the field before it was time. They had to have some excuse. They thought they could Cover their Shame by [placing] the blame on the leading officers. I never want to hear of you being guilty of such a thing. Stand to your post like a man and a soldier. do not be guilty of Crying wolf when there is no Wolf like some of these panic stricken Customers that ran to Nashville and Knoxville, And some of these brave heroes that ran from Fort Henry to Pinhook and made full railroad time. Woodward Ran from Fort Henry to Pinhook at the Rate of 20 Miles per Hour, packed two sick men on his Back and 75 dollars worth of clothing, and said that he saw the devil and heard him Holler. His eyes were as Big as two full moons. John Lathan came in ahead and shoulders behind in the Race But since John was Sick I must not talk too much About him. Poor {?} had to lag behind and said, Boys wait for me, but they had no time to spare so they left him behind to die I know not where, his Body Came to Moulton dead. They were eating at a house by the road - a young Lady Said from the Upstairs that enemy Cavalry was Coming. They double quick lit from their home without eating a morsel. The Yankees made their way to Florence and took away some Government Stores, But I suppose you heard all Before this will Reach you. It was rumored on the streets on Saturday that {?} Had Whupped the Yanks at Donolson. It was a telegraph dispatch to Courtland. We will know today as soon as the mail Comes, I am in hopes it is so.


February the 26, 62 Dear Brother David You can See from the other letter the Commotion in Lawrence. My Reason for not mailing them before, now, I Could not hear for Certain where you were located and another I heard that Nashville was surrendered to the enemy. Yesterday I heard that Crittenden's Division was at Murfreesboro. Today I heard that Davis sent a dispatch to Johnson to Defend Nashville at all Hazards. Bill Daugharty Came from there Recently. [He] said that they had 1000 white flags up and were going to Surrender the City By the advice of Johnson. [I]f the fall of Fort Henry scared our people you may guess how they felt now After the fall of Donolson and the Capture of 10 or 12,000 of our men. Capt. Hinn(?) and about 30 of his men are now killed or wounded. It looks like our army is becoming Demoralized in one sense of the word. There are thousands of hale, hearty men now at home on furlough, Gallivanting over the Country. When their furlough expires they apply to the Family Physician to prolong their furlough; of course the pliant doctor extends the furlough and By that Means Swindles the Government. I know now of some of your men offering the doctor Gold Ore so I won't name anybody. The Doctor Said he would expose Him before long if he did not go Back. Some of our southern Boys are not as good as I thought they were. When you were here you were afraid they would have a Battle before you would get back there. Some at home now that would Be Glad that all the Battles would be fought before they would Get Back. Ala. has called for 12000 men. None other will be but in my opinion he will not get them. He has given until the 15th of March to make up that number. If not made up by then he says he will Resort to other means, that is to a Draft. I heard some of our best Citizens say they would Stand a Draft now that we're the Bravest in the County. The Dry Bones of Lawrence are Shaking. Judge Prescott (?) is making up a company under the last Call. I don't know how he will Succeed. Pope is Blockading the Colbert Shoals to keep the Yankees from Florence. Give my respects to Hugh and panky (?) and tell them they must write me. Tell Hugh I was very uneasy about him until I received a letter from after the Battle of Mills Springs. Mollie and Billie send you their love. I must close. I remain Yours Brother Bryan Kelly and David

________________________

January 18, 2012:

      After attending a Civil War presentation at the North Spokane Library on January 15, I sent a link to these letters to Dr. Michael F. Conlin, Associate Professor of History at Eastern Washington University.  Here is his part of his response:

Thanks very much for the email and the link. I find the Feb. 26, 1862 letter to especially interesting. The writer is referencing the generous exemptions to conscription that the (Confederate) Conscription Act of 1862 granted: “Schoolteachers of 20 pupils. Ministers, College Professors, Druggists, Mail Carriers, Postmasters, Civil Officers of the state governments and of the CSA, Employees of Railroads, Ferrymen, Telegraph Operators, Employees in Cotton and Woolen Mills, Miners, Employees in Furnaces and Foundries, Shoemakers, Blacksmiths, Tanners, Millers, Saltmakers, Printers,  and one  Editor of each Newspaper.  Planters and Overseers who supervised 20 or more slaves.  Quakers, Dunkers, and Mennonites who paid a tax of $500 or who furnished a substitute.”

No comments:

Post a Comment